DONATE-to-the-Historical-Society2.gif
Sign-Up-Email-List2.gif

© 2019 COW NECK PENINSULA HISTORICAL SOCIETY

336 Port Washington Blvd., Port Washington, New York 11050
www.cowneck.org         516.365.9074          info@cowneck.org

Port Washington Cemeteries

By Christopher Bain

 

Let’s focus on Port Washington cemeteries, of which there are many.  In no particular order, here is a list of  our town’s cemeteries, with the locations.

  • Nassau Knolls Cemetery (on Port Blvd., and the subject of this column)

  • Free Church Cemetery (Harbor Road, on a hillside between the Dodge Homestead and the Tennis Academy

  • Monfort Cemetery (Old Dutch Cemetery), on a hill behind the Post Office

  • Mitchell Cemetery (off New Street & 5th Avenue)

  • Hillside Cemetery (exact location undetermined; on several old maps, off present day Preston St., approximately)

  • Sands Cemetery (on private property in Sands Point)

  • Cornwell Cemetery (in Soundview, on a small hill, near Sousa, surrounded by houses)

  • Pleasant Avenue Cemetery (tiny fenced in cemetery, just east of the Happy Montessory School)

 

 

Toward the latter half of the 19th Century, the “town cemetery” was the Free Church Cemetery, overlooking Harbor Road, between the Dodge Homestead and today's Tennis Academy.  Some reports state that the old cemetery was falling into disrepair by the 1890’s.  Talk turned to the founding of a new cemetery, on the outskirts of town, on property owned by the Onderdonk family.  Several prominent businessmen, led by Charles F. Lewis, secured the property in 1900, and Nassau-Knolls Cemetery was born....  read on!