Port Washington / Cow Neck schools
In 1748, the first school teacher arrived in Cow Neck, which the Port Washington peninsula was called prior to 1859, . He had answered an advertisement placed in the New York Mercury which read,
“Thomas Dodge and Petrus Onderdonk want a man well qualified
to teach school in Cow Neck.”
As there was not yet a formal school house, Cow Neck’s first teacher would travel and teach in the local settlers’ homes. As the area population grew, a second teacher was added in 1813. The salary was raised to $12 per month, a substantial increase over the 25 pounds per year that the teacher was paid in 1763.
- Glen DeSalvo, trustee