The Eyes of War
The Eyes of War:
A United States Army Photo Unit in Vietnam
A Presentation by Fred Blumlein, Trustee
Have you ever wondered how US Army combat photographers operated in Vietnam? Fred Blumlein, trustee of the Cow Neck Peninsula Historical Society and a former US Army officer who led a photo unit in Vietnam, told us about the complexity of taking and processing photographs under the extreme conditions of war.
His presentation covered:
• His path to Vietnam
• His unit’s geographic area of responsibilities in Vietnam
• The airborne brigade and infantry divisions it supported
• Its outdated facilities and equipment
• Its photographic assignments – from the frightening to the mundane
• The unit’s anonymous and brave photographers and lab technicians
• Plus Blumlein’s other responsibilities, both tragic and uplifting
This program was sponsored by the North Riding Chapter NSDAR of Manhasset and is for audiences of 18+ years.