at the Village Club of Sands Point
The Sands Cemetery, located within the Village Club of Sands Point property, was an African American cemetery in use between 1815 and 1854.
There are only three interments in the cemetery:
Cato Sands Jr.,
and his mother Margaret Sands
Cato Sands Jr. was the son of a freed slave, Cato Sands Sr. He owned three acres of land near Mill Pond and lived at 35 Mill Pond Road. His historic house is still standing.
Visit the Cato Sands Family home here.
Findagrave.com (describes location and condition of cemeteries, lists the graves, and includes pictures of headstones)
“Early Burial Grounds” article in the Port Washington News, Nov. 2 2015
“Survey of Cemeteries- Town of North Hempstead” Howard Kroplick
“Plaque to highlight history of slave descendant's Port Washington home” Newsday, By Dandan Zou